Sunday, September 2, 2007

Inspirations...KathyDB in Seattle


Pokey me...I know what I love, but verbalizing it it another thing. The first quilt I thought of was 'Little Cities' by Kathy York. I stumbled upon it when I first found these things called quilting blogs. I think this is my all time favorite.
I like whimsical, and quilts that suprise me but not cutsey, and definitely not country. I like symmetry and the contrast of black with brights. I love the simplicity of a double or triple Irish chain, and currently my favorite block is the off-set pinwheel around the small central square.
I'm learning to love scrappy... I get too obsessive with where each scrap should go which kind of defeats the purpose, I guess. I'm much happier if there is a constant in the scrappy ones. For example, in the pineapple blossoms that I made my son, there was one tone-on tone cream for all the squares/triangles and scrappy for the bars. If I had to put everything in a bag, and sew what I pulled out, it would probably make me very unsettled.

Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston's quilts were here at the La Conner Quilt Museum last spring. It was so fabulous to see these things up close, and boy, did I recognize a lot of the fabrics in my stash. So I guess you could say that I have a lot of brights and polka-dots. There are also plenty of French-ish fabrics, stripes/florals and Provence-type, too.

I love the wonky stuff, Tonya's houses and I'm a big fan of the Halloween stuff. too.



Oh, Yeah..and Cinco de Mayo by Karen Stone. I want to do one of those some day.
Also love tiny little stuff...See my finger next to the star on the Moran Marston? That's for me! These are all off the web, or pictures I took at the local quilt show.. The only one of mine up here is the little house (part of a quilt that will hang in one of my exam rooms....one of the perks of being a pediatrician...my office is definitely not stuffy!)

Well, what do you know, when I make a quilt they are usually symmetric traditional patterns, and when I pick out my favorites they are all crazy. I must be repressed, or something. Or, come to think of it, most everything I have ever made was a gift, I have kept very few things. Maybe that's the difference....

1 comment:

Mar said...

I love Freddie, one of her cheerful inspirations would be perfect for your office. Hope you will post it when you finish.