Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Introducing.......me





My name is Kathy and I've lived in Seattle most of my 52 years. I'm a pediatrician, violinist, quilter and big baseball fan (go Mariners!). I was in California for college at Stanford, a total blast. Then back home to the U of Washington for medical school and residency. It was close..The rest of my family are professional musicians, but I didn't have the guts for the auditions...so I went into a 'low-stress' profession.....and play string quartets on the side with my Seattle Symphony cellist sister and her symphony friends.


Anyway, I've got three great kids. Carolyn is 25, budding Kindergarten teacher at her old grade school. She was born during my third year in medical school. Emily and Chris just turned 22, finishing up school. They were born at the end of my second year of residency. Too busy to actually go to the doctor, I didn't find out there were two of them until I was 7 months pregnant...oops! Carolyn had been telling us that she wanted two babies...Really!!!...what did she know that we didn't?





I volunteer at the Pacific Northwest Ballet. Seattle has one of the big five ballet companies in the country. My son danced in the school well into high school. One thing led to another and I wound up as a gopher in wardrobe/costume department. Just being able to fondle that glorious fabric, see the attention to detail and construction, and help with the repairs, alterations etc. is so much fun and a real contrast to my"day job". I've also gotten to be an extra in Swan Lake and in the Nutcracker....so cool to play dress-up like that!




So, about the quilting thing. I've been sewing as long as I can remember. Lots of time in casts, or after operations growing up, with really bad club feet, I developed a patience for handwork. I think my first little quilt was made when I was about 8. I started a Cathedral Windows with my grandma when I was in 9th grade. Boy, are there ever some great old vintage fabrics in that one!! My high school graduation present from my parents was a Singer Featherweight my mom found in a thrift store for $35. It's a little workhorse...right here next to me.





I love precision piecing...(there's a pretty good triple feathered star {not finished, of course}), but the trifecta of discovering Tonya's blog last year, the Freddy Moran/Gwen Marston book, and seeing MaryLou Wiedeman and her whimsical stuff had me wanting to stretch outside my box... I have been sewing almost everyday this summer. Thanks to crappy Seattle summer weather, and the fact that I really hate to garden and cook... so what's left? The kids are gone, and it's me, the dogs, and my sewing machine...

P.S. This is Annie.....



Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

5 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Hi Kathy, so great to see you've started a blog. I have a request though: change your name to something like Kathy DB or Kathy in Seattle. that'll just make it much easier to know who's commenting to me! you can make that change in your profile. And another great trick? In your setting, under Comments, put your email addy in the very last box, that way you get comments into your email account and don't have to come look at them on hte blog. tho you might already have done that!

check out this website for whimsical whittler:
http://www.christmas-treasures.com/Woodcarvings/VaughnRawson/VaughnRawson.htm

I think those are great prices for what you are getting, but yes, pricey. It would be interesting to know just how much time goes into one of these pieces. It might be less expensive working directly with the artist, but dunno. if he writes you back, let me know.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Welcome to blogging! I've only been at it a short time, but it is such fun... I love the energy and inspiration that radiates from others.

mereth said...

Glad you've got a blog, it's nice to check up on everyone else and see what they're doing. Haven't made a start on Tonya's letters yet, I'd better hurry up and dig out some fabric for that.
Don't be afraid to put photos of all the dogs on your blog, we love looking at each other's pets.

comicbooklady said...

Blogging takes a bit of practice, then it is totally addictive, I found! PS I think Annie is sooo cute, and I'm a cat person!

zizzybob said...

OMG, I just love the new header, more importantly, I love the shoes. Where in the world did you get them? I MUST have a pair.
Barbara